January 29, 2012

Still Life With RSV

It’s day 21 of Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), better known as a cold that can have upper and lower respiratory implications. According to  the Department of Health in Minnesota, 23% of Minnesotans are suffering with me today. I know this is true  because a trip to Target Pharmacy shows huge gaps on the shelves  in the “cold” medications section. Mucinex is on sale too. The Mayo Clinic website says I should be over this in two weeks. Not true! Day 21!

In an attempt to recreate de Soto’s famous expedition into the Americas, and the resulting epidemics that hit the the indigenous people, we were visited by our Georgian grandchildren and family who had the southern version of RSV. Maybe we should call it RSV 2.0 as there were two visiting Georgians suffering from this malady.  My husband and I played the role of the natives, and true to form, we acquired RSV. Amazingly, RSV 2.0 has morphed into RSV 8.0, striking all immediate grandparents from New York to Florida to Minnesota. Family gatherings just seem to spread the love around, and other things too. But how can one resist a gorgeous, blonde, wide-eyed three year old girl standing at your feet with Mr. Teddy. Sniffles or not, grandchildren are irresistible.

The past two weeks I’ve been humming, “If I Only Had a Brain” from the Wizard of Oz. It seems so appropriate when infused with mucus galore and plied with OTC cold medications. Luckily, my husband is suffering with me in this ethereal medicated world as our stuffed ears make conversations muffled. “Huh?” seems to be a standard line...or “I didn’t hear you,” or “Say that again!”

By now we’ve thoroughly researched the pros and cons of being a couch potato. Drinking gallons of orange juice, water, and tea does not accomplish anything other than many trips to the powder room. Paper towels work just as well as kleenex. Forget about doctors saying don’t share your prescription as my husband’s codeine cough syrup did help. All cough drops work the same. Grand Marnier can relieve a cough and make you sleepy. Netti pots can be used five times a day or more with marvelous results. The Afrin directions say don’t use it for more than three days or you’ll permanently cement your nose together. That’s not true. If you only use Afrin in one nostril for three nights, you have another nostril  all lined up for the next three nights.

Although I’m not a painter, I decided to create a collage which I’m calling, “Still Life With RSV”.

No comments: