February 6, 2012

Terms of En-deer-ment/Minnesota Style

Have you ever wondered about those affectionate, endearing words and phrases used by your loving partner in place of your real name? “Honey” is a word frequently used to address another. “Honey, will you take this bag out and put it in  the  trash?” Saying “honey” instead of your name, makes the question sweeter or more palatable and less like a chief handing out an order, especially if it’s stinking rotten fish guts. “Honey, I really want to stay home tonight,” is a nicer way of saying, “Are you crazy? I worked 60 hours this week, got up before dawn, and transported the kids after school to five hockey meets and six basketball practices!”

There are other terms of endearment that have sweet connotations like “muffin” and “sugar”. “Fruitcake”  would not be a good one to use even though it has a high sugar content. Some people like to call their loved one a vegetable name like “pumpkin,” but  “corny” would be a good one to avoid. Anything cute and furry is fine, such as “ducky”, “kitten” and “bunny”.

Minnesotans should come up with some really creative endearing words that highlight those things we love about Minnesota. What do Minnesotans love more than anything else? Fishing! Why not say, “Lindy, you look really nice today,” or “You’re my little bobber.” “Buzz bait, can you help me with this?”  I suppose I could figure out some way of using the word “walleye”, Minnesota’s  most prized fish, but I haven’t figured out what that might be yet. Here’s a question to ponder:  If a lady is real “foxy”, can  a man be a likable “lutefisk”?

On occasion, I’ve been known to call my spouse “funny bunny” or “snookems” but I wouldn’t think of calling him “fish eyes” or “snapper”. If I call him “dear”, he’ll think I’m referring to the antlered four-legged creature. Maybe I should call him “buck”. Yep, he has such en-deer-ing qualities, I’ll have to come up with some more real  Minnesota style gems to describe him.

1 comment:

Brian Whittemore said...

I know, how about calling me "chef"? Or this, "woody", because of all the firewood I haul into the cabin. Wait, I got it, call me when it's time to head out of MN and visit our friends in Florida. Yeah, that's it!